In this guide, we are using Omnistar Affiliate Software to set up an affiliate program for Shopify.
Omnistar Affiliate Software makes it easy to create and manage an affiliate program. Watch the video below to see how Omnistar Affiliate Software can grow your business.
See this Shopify course if you want in-depth knowledge on how to market your Shopify store.
Ready to get started? Install Omnistar Affiliate Software for your Shopify by clicking the link below.
Once installed, you can follow this guide to set up an affiliate program for your Shopify.
If you have any questions not covered in this guide, please visit the Shopify Referral Software Knowledge Base for detailed instructions and resources.
Are you looking to grow your Shopify store using affiliate marketing?
Starting an affiliate program for your Shopify is really easy. Affiliate marketing can help you get more traffic, sales, and customers.
In this article, we’ll show you to get create an affiliate program for Shopify.
The affiliate tracking software we’ll use in this post is Omnistar Affiliate Software.
Omnistar makes it easy to create and manage an affiliate program for Shopify.
By the end of this post you will know:
- How to get an affiliate program running with Shopify
- How affiliate marketing works
- How to sell products with affiliate marketing on Shopify
- How to create a partner program for Shopify
- The best affiliate tracking system for Shopify
- How to recruit affiliates to your Shopify affiliate program
- How affiliates can promote you using affiliate links
- How to integrate Shopify with Omnistar Affiliate Software
- How to add affiliates to your Shopify affiliate campaign
- How to create an affiliate marketing campaign for Shopify
- How affiliates can keep track of their marketing stats
- How affiliates can track their referrals and commissions
- How affiliates can promote in social media networks
- How to approve affiliate registrations
- How to pay affiliates
- How to add affiliate marketing materials for your affiliates
- How affiliates can track their referrals
Affiliate marketing is a top online marketing channel for growing your business.
The main reason why affiliate marketing works is because it is cheap and cost effective. You only pay affiliates for the successful sales they send you.
So, as affiliates promote you in social media, email, blogs, offline, etc. You will only pay them when they send a customer who buys.
As you can see, you can get a lot of traffic from affiliate marketing.
Let’s jump into the post and show you how you will create an affiliate program for your Shopify.
The first step is to go the Shopify app store and install Omnistar Affiliate Software.
How to Get an Affiliate Program Running with Shopify
To create your affiliate program for Shopify, follow the steps in our Shopify integration video.
Creating Your First Shopify Affiliate Campaign
Follow these steps to create your first affiliate campaign for Shopify.
Click on the Campaigns link on the left navigation of the dashboard.
Now, click Add.
On the next page, enter the name of your campaign. A description and also the commission amount.
On the next page, you will need to specify where you will send customers after they click on affiliate link. Do you want them to go to your store? A coupon? Select your choice using the provided radio buttons.
Click the Finish button. Your affiliate campaign is now created. It is time to get affiliates to join your program.
Adding Affiliates to Your Shopify Affiliate Program
Now the fun is starting. To have a successful affiliate program, you will need to get affiliates to join. In this section, we will show you the best ways of adding affiliates to your Shopify affiliate program. Remember, the more ecommerce marketing strategies you personally know, the better.
1. Asking affiliates for email only
You can use our sign-up widget to recruit affiliates. The sign-up widget only asks affiliates to enter their email address. You can embed this widget on any page of your website.
Watch this video to see how to enable the sign up widget.
2. Affiliate Website
You can create an affiliate website where you can register affiliates. This website is hosted by Omnistar. You can customize the look and feel of this website from the backend of the software.
Watch this video to see how to customize this option.
3. Embed Registration Form on Your Shopify Store
Another cool and easy option is to register affiliates from your Shopify store. You can get the html of the registration form and then embed this to your website.
- Click Campaigns
- Manage Marketing Tools
- Social Share Widget
- Integrate a registration form into your existing website
From this section, just create your form and then grab the html code you can use to embed your form. Here’s an example.
4. Add Affiliates Manually
You can also go the manual route. If you want to add each affiliate from the backend, you can. Just go to the Manage Users section.
Those are the top ways of adding affiliates to your program. The next thing you need to do is market your program so that you can get affiliates to join.
How Can I market my affiliate software with Shopify?
To market your Shopify Store Affiliate Program try these strategies:
1. You can start with what you have; advertise your affiliate program to your current customers and try to recruit your current customers to join your affiliate program. The benefits of recruiting your current customers are: (a) they are already loyal to you and your product so they believe in it (b) you already have their emails and phone numbers so you can contact them and inform them about your awesome affiliate program (c) who doesn’t want to earn money on the side?
2. Advertise your affiliate program on your website. Make sure to have links on your website where your affiliate program stands out so that your customers and website visitors know you have an affiliate program and they can easily sign up.
3. Make sure your affiliate program is attractive. If you are serious about attracting top affiliates offer a good commission amount. Do not pay a commission of $1 for $100 products. Most of the top affiliate programs online offer a commission between 30% and 75%.
4. Offer top prizes for your top affiliates. To motivate your affiliates you can offer them prizes for the top affiliates who bring in sales that meet your affiliate program goals.
5. Advertise your affiliate program in online affiliate directories. OSI Affiliate Software has an affiliate directory so you can send us your information to make sure we include you in the directory.
6. Approach bloggers in your industry who target the same audience as your business and give them links and banners and pay them commission for all the successful sales they send your way.
7. If you have the resources you can pay to advertise your affiliate program in tv, radio, online, etc.
8. Don’t just focus online, you can send offline contacts to your affiliate sign up page. A good example of this is when you are in networking events.
9. Partner with other companies in your industry and give them links and pay them for the sales they send you.
10. Do webinars and seminars to advertise your affiliate program and show potential recruits how easy it is to use your affiliate program and earn money on the side.
11. Advertise it on your blog.
12. Have a multi-tier affiliate program. This will help you recruit more affiliates because affiliates will be motivated to recruit other affiliates to join the program because they will earn more.
These are some of the strategies you can use to market your affiliate program. If you have one that we did not include in this list you can send us an email and we can add it. Remember, once you get your program going and recruit affiliates the program will just operate in cruise control.
Adding Creatives for Affiliates
Click on Campaigns.
Click Manage Marketing Tools.
In this section you can provide affiliates with the creatives they can use to promote you.
There are many types of asses affiliates can use. Here are a few examples
- Coupon codes
- Promo codes
- Email swipe copy
- Affiliate coupons
Bonus 1: How to Setup Deep Linking with Shopify
Typically the landing page for your affiliate program that your affiliates are referring people to is your Shopify store’s home page, however, we also give you the ability for your affiliates to link to any page of your site which could be a specific product or category page or any page of your web site. This is known as deep linking. To set this up, please follow the instructions below:
1. If you want your affiliates to link to any product or category page, you first need to make sure our landing page code is on all product and category pages. This can be easily done by adding our landing page code to the product and category template files that are used to control the layout for these pages. Most shopping carts have one controlling file for these pages. To get the landing page code, login to your admin area and go to Getting Started -> Set Up Software, and then in the pop-up window, click the link that says:
“I want to get code to insert on my landing and thank you page”
2. Under step 1 of the set up instructions grab the code shown below and add to your Product or category template page or any page that you want the affiliates to be able to link to.
3. In Shopify, all store themes have a product.liquid file that controls the layout of all product pages and a collection.liquid file that controls the layout of the product category collection pages.
To access these files login to your Shopify, follow the directions below:
a. Login to your Shopify Admin area.
b. Click on “Online Store” link Shown here:
c. Now click on the “Themes” link shown here:
d. Now click the Customize Store button shown shown here:
e. From the top Theme Options link select “Edit HTML/CSS” shown here:
f. Now select the collection.liquid and product.liquid files shown below and add our landing page code to the top of these files:
4. Once that code has been added to the Shopify pages, you now simply need to notify your affiliates and tell them how they can link to these other pages. Prior to setting up the deep linking for these pages you may have just had one program that links to your home page, so your affiliates link would have looked something like this:
So now all you have to do is tell your affiliates that they just need to add everything after the hash tag including the hash tag to the url of the page that they want to link to.
So for example, if the URL of the page that they want to link to is this:
all they have to do is add their code to the end of it which would be a string of code like this:
so the new link would look like this:
This is all your affiliates need to do in order to deep link to any page of your site.
Bonus 2: How to Setup Coupon Code Tracking with Shopify
Why you would use this feature
If you would like to provide your affiliates with a Shopify coupon code that they can give out to people instead of giving them their affiliate link, this feature is what you would use. When this feature is implemented, if a customers uses an affiliates promo code, they will get a discount for their purchase and the affiliate will get credited their commission for referring the sale.
How to Set it Up
1. Login to your admin control panel and then go to Manage Referral Programs -> Marketing tools
2. Now click the button that says “Add Promo Code Tracking”
3. Click “Add Code Tracking” button:
4. Type in the name of the coupon that you created in your Shopify shopping cart, select the corresponding user and then select the referral program:
NOTE: To create a coupon code in Shopify, simply login to your admin control panel and click on “Discounts” on your left navigation and then click the “Add discount code” button.
5. Now that you have added the coupon code, you will need to make an update to the sales tracking code that you added to the Additional Content and Scripts section of Shopify. You will need to add this code below to the section of your sales tracking code that is shown below:
Once you complete the steps above your affiliates will be able to give out the code you assign for them which will give the customer a discount and calculate a commission for the referring affiliate.
We have covered the most important steps that an affiliate manager will need to do to get their program going. There’s one more task that is important to an affiliate manager. That is paying affiliates. We’ll cover that at the bottom.
For now, we need to review another important part of your affiliate marketing campaign. We need to review the affiliate user area. This is where affiliates will get their affiliate links, promote you, and keep track of their commissions.
If you want affiliates to be successful, and if you want to attract top affiliates pros, you need to have an affiliate platform with a user friendly affiliate dashboard.
The Affiliate Dashboard
When affiliates log in to their user area, it looks like this
This is the area where affiliates can keep track of their referrals and their commissions.
If affiliates are just looking for their affiliate link or referral link, they can copy it from here
If affiliates want to promote you from social media, they can just choose which platform from the selection and then promote you.
To check how much they’ve made from commissions, they can click on Rewards.
And if they want to keep track of their promotion and marketing, they can go to Stats
If the affiliates want to recruit other affiliates to join the program so that they can make commissions from their recruits, they just need to use their recruit link from the dashboard shown here
That is a quick summary of the affiliate user area. The next and really important thing you need to know is how to pay your affiliates. You can do that from the admin control panel. Just follow the below steps.
How to Pay Affiliates
If you need to review affiliate sales, leads, and invoices, click on Rewards.
From this page, you can review all the affiliate sales, approve sales, review leads, and manage the invoices.
To pay your affiliates, click on Manage Invoices.
Next, check the invoices for the affiliates you want to pay.
After you have selected the invoices you want to pay, scroll down and from the dropdown, select Create Paypal Mass Payment File.
This will create a file you can upload into PayPal. When you upload this file, it will pay your affiliates.
This post has walked you through how to set up and create an easy affiliate marketing program for Shopify.
This Shopify integration will grow your Shopify business with affiliate and referral marketing.